When you’re shopping for a commercial floor scraper, there are a multitude of options to consider – brand, budget, electric floor scraper or propane… – but one of the first things you’ll want to decide is if you need a stand up floor scraper or a ride-on floor scraper. Depending on your business, you may find that both are necessary. To help you make your choice, we are breaking down the qualities both options bring to the table.
Stand Up Floor Scrapers
Stand up floor scrapers, also called walk behind floor scrapers, are compact machines in which the user walks behind the machine to guide or maneuver it. Generally powered by electric motors, these can be used either indoors or outdoors to easily take up linoleum, carpet, tile, laminate, or coatings quickly and easily.
Benefits of Walk Behind Floor Scrapers
- Portable – Some models break down into two pieces while others have weights that can be removed, making them easy to carry up or down stairs or load in and out of trucks.
- Storage – Their compact size makes them easy to store and transport.
- Small space usage – Stand up floor scrapers are compact in size, allowing you to work in small areas like residential rooms and offices.
What to Look for in a Stand Up Floor Scraper
Depending on where and how you’ll be using the floor scraper, you may want to consider the following features:
- Self-propelled for added power and reduced operator fatigue.
- Adjustable handles for a more comfortable operating experience
- Added pocket weights to increase the pressure and effectiveness of the floor scraper
- Power source that works with where you’ll be working – For example, if you primarily do floor removal in homes, you’ll mainly have access to 110V outlets.
Ride-On Floor Scrapers
Like it’s name suggests, a ride-on floor scraper has the user operate the machine using pedals and levers from a seated position on top of the scraper. Available in either propane powered models or battery operated models, these are ideal for tackling large, open floor stripping projects both indoors and outdoors.
Benefits of Ride-On Floor Scrapers
- Seated position reduces operator fatigue
- Powerful motors offer the highest performance and power over other types of scrapers.
- Tackle almost all floor coverings and coatings, including laminate, VCT, carpet, tile, and elastomeric coatings.
- Ergonomic design
- Tight turn radius for easy steering and maneuverability.
Features to Consider in a Ride-On Floor Scraper
If you are considering a ride-on floor scraper, make sure you take these factors into consideration:
- Power source – Propane powered models are not always ideal for indoor use due to noise and emissions. If you work in close quarters, a battery-powered option may be best.
- Storage and Transportation – While these are surprisingly compact, some ride-on scrapers are over five feet long and nearly three feet wide and weigh over 1,000 pounds, so it’s important to factor in the dimensions of the ride-on scraper you purchase.
Contact Us for Your New Commercial Floor Scraper
Whether you choose to purchase a ride-on floor scraper or a stand-up floor scraper, we have a wide selection to choose from as well as the floor scraper accessories you need, like extra blades and chisel attachments. Reach out to a product expert to day at (815) 472-9749 or by filling out our contact form to learn more about our products or to get a free quote!